Sunday, December 27, 2015

US & UK Trip (Day 3): New York - Woodbury Common and National September 11 Memorial & Museum

The next day saw me catching an early bus to Woodbury Common- a premium outlet about 40 mins from the city. It was a so-so experience, but certainly not one that I would repeat, as I am not a big fan of branded stuff anyway. You also need to specifically ask for the items that are actually sold at the main stores- else you would likely end up buying stuff made for the premium outlet stores, which I feel is really misleading the consumer. Hmmph. 



Exhausted from all the shopping, I got some rest back at the hotel and headed out to visit the National September 11 Memorial & Museum. This was an exceptional museum- informative with details of what happened on that fateful day, yet respectful to the many who lost their lives. It was an incredibly poignant experience- words simply cannot do it justice. As a visitor in the museum, I had a tiny taste of the confusion, panic and the disbelief that New Yorkers must have experienced that day. People desperately searching for their loved ones- putting up posters and leaflets everywhere, emergency workers working round the clock to try and locate and rescue survivors; I truly cannot imagine what New York must have felt like on that day.

I did not know that the 'main' exhibit was right in the middle of the museum, and hence had to rush through it all in the end- as the museum was closing. Arrgh- I could totally kick myself!






The memorial fountains are two square pools where the Twin Towers once stood. The names of those who perished that day are etched on the sides of the pools.


How the world has changed since that fateful day- 9/11.....

No comments: