Sunday, December 27, 2015

US & UK Trip (Day 2): New York - Grand Central Station, New York Public Library, Times Square & American Museum of Natural History

Day 2 was a day of adventure! I took the subway to Grand Central Station and then walked out in search of the Daily News Building- looking up to see the Chrysler Building (below) on the way.


Next up was an (audio) guided tour of Grand Central Station- which was very informative. I really enjoyed myself, wandering around the station and discovering its secrets along the way.

The ceiling was cleaned in the mid-1990s, but a small dark patch was left to create a 'before and after' effect. The dark patch was a result of over 100 years of dirt, mainly from cigarette smoke. Ewww! 



Can you see spot the dark patch?



Thought this was very amusing- just like in the movies!


My next stop was the New York Public Library. Unfortunately the famous Rose Reading Room was closed for restoration works, so that was a real bummer.



Bryant Park was just beside the Library, so I stopped for a bit to browse the Christmas market and enjoy some mulled wine while watching people enjoy themselves skating. It was pretty cool- again, the downside was being alone.



Onwards to the famous Times Square- ok, so now I can say 'been there, done that', haha! Watching a show wasn't on my itinerary- as I was rushing to my next stop- the American Museum of Natural History.









The museum was AWESOME. I took heaps of photos, and I stayed until closing time. The kids would have loved this- I really must bring them here someday- and to prep them, they would have to watch the 'Night at the Museum' movies!

I visited some old friends from university- who graciously hosted me for dinner. It was lovely seeing them again and catching up after so many years. What a super long but super fun day!

No comments: