Monday, July 09, 2007

Amazing Grace

Sang this song in church on Sunday; it’s been a long time since we’ve sung it the slow, reverent way…I’ve always thought that beautiful songs like these should be sung in a manner that allows the worshipper to absorb the meaning of the words.

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me ;
I once was lost, but now am found ,
Was blind, but now I see.

T’was grace that taught my heart to fear,
And grace my fears reliev'd;
How precious did that grace appear,
The hour I first believ'd!

Thro' many dangers, toils and snares,
I have already come;
T’was grace has brought me safe thus far,
And grace will lead me home.

The Lord has promised good to me,

His word my hope secures;
He will my shield and portion be,
As long as life endures.

When we've been here ten thousand years,
Bright shining as the sun;
We've no less days to sing God's praise,
Then when we've first begun.

This reminded me of the recent ‘Amazing Grace’ movie that I watched with Mum and Moonie in Singapore. Thought it would be a movie about John Newton, who wrote this wonderful hymn- but it turned out to be the story of William Wilberforce and his 20-year struggle to abolish slavery in the United Kingdom.

No matter, it was still an interesting movie. Granted, it was probably very low-budget compared to most movies we see these days. No special effects (except for the makeup- that was excellent), or dramatic scenes requiring expensive props and all.

Ioan Gruffudd starred as William Wilberforce; a role he played with much passion and conviction as he fought the powers-that-be on the issue of slavery, whilst trying to defend his loyalty to his Queen and country. His opponents in parliament accused him of being a traitor; they argued that the abolition of slavery would have a huge negative impact on trade, and therefore the economy of the British Empire. He sought encouragement from John Newton himself (brilliantly played by Albert Finney), who was an ex-slave trader who repented of his ways when he came to know God, and went on to pen the beautiful hymn- Amazing Grace.

For Ioan Gruffudd, this is such a different role compared to the one he plays in another big-budget Hollywood movie! Wonder how many people in the audience knew that he is also the ever-flexible Mr Fantastic of the Fantastic 4 Fame?

All in all, Amazing Grace is an inspiring, thought-provoking movie indeed.

No comments: