Wednesday, December 30, 2009

A home-cooked meal for Christmas

I don't cook much, so it was great fun (although it was a tad stressful) to do a bit of cooking for Christmas. Nothing fancy really, just some simple fare. I wouldn't say the meal was a resounding success, but I guess the food was edible. Or my family was just being polite. Hmm.

I made a Seared Scallop Salad, although the scallops were anything but seared. Darn. I think they just kind of 'boiled' in the butter. I always find it so hard to cook scallops (not that I try often; those things are much too expensive for me to keep getting wrong, haha). Anyway, the salad wasn't too bad- with scallops, walnuts, pears and rocket leaves, the different tastes and textures went quite well together.

For the main course I made pasta- with homemade pesto and bacon and mushrooms. Yummy! The pesto was a pain to make because I had so much trouble finding basil leaves, plus my blender was too small so I had to make them in batches.

With some simple cheese and smoked salmon on crackers plus a delicious 'cocktail' of Malibu rum and pineapple juice, I guess it was a decent meal after all. Ah well, by my standards anyway.

No comments: