Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Trip to Hong Kong- Day 1

I had the opportunity to attend a regional conference in Hong Kong recently. It was a short trip, and I didn't have the luxury of extending my stay, so I had to try and squeeze in as many things as I could in the little time that I had there.

The few of us travelling together caught an early flight to Hong Kong, and by the time we cleared the long line at Immigration, and checked in at the hotel (which was only right next to the airport, mind you) it was already past 2 pm!

After settling down a little bit, we caught a taxi to Tsim Sha Tsui. Our destination (or rather, my destination; everyone else just decided to tag along)- the Hong Kong Museum of History! I really do have this thing for museums. It was a bit hard moving in a group; I really wanted to maximise my time at the museum, but by the time we got everyone together and reached there, it was already 4:30 pm! Sigh.

We even stopped to have a late lunch... I would have been quite happy to grab a bun and eat it on the go, but the others wanted to stop, and so we did. And how was lunch? Dreadful. A total waste of time. The broth tasted like peanut butter was added in, and the noodles were nothing to shout about. I had something like this before at Crystal Jade in KL and made the mistake of ordering this again. Cheh.

The Hong Kong Museum of History is really quite amazing. It features galleries that 'tell the Hong Kong story' in innovative and interesting ways. I read all the reviews and tips on TripAdvisor (luckily I did that), and skimmed through the earlier galleries because the later ones were more interesting. We only had 1.5 hours anyway, so we had to make do.


Towers of buns..

They even have replicas of boats and a tram, so the experience felt really authentic! I would highly recommend this museum to anyone visiting Hong Kong.

After the museum closed, we walked around the Tsim Sha Tsui for a bit, before settling down to have a quick dinner at a 'char chan teng'. I had a baked rice dish, which was pretty similar to what we can get here at Kim Gary. Overall, just a so-so dining experience.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

emmm... how come not getting good food? HK seems like any restaurant also shd b nice. ;p

but museum is a thing I can only enjoy myself.. OCE scolded mad and hell on our Taiwai trip.. you're not enjoying if there's a pair of eyes starring at u: "r u done?"

I had the same experience on my Japan trip abt tagging with others - had to stop for meals, while you try to maximize ur visiting time. Totally understand the feelings.

cp