Sunday, September 23, 2007

A Night at Clarke Quay

Recently, I went to Singapore to attend an architectural course. I booked into a 'no-frills' budget hotel near Keong Saik Road, which wasn't too far from where my course was being held. The room was simple and clean. The best part was that they provide WiFi internet access at the lobby area for SGD 3 an hour, hee hee.. I paid for an hour to get on to Facebook that night - what a facebook addict! :p

Simple Superior Room with double bed

My course ended at about 8:30pm and I decided to test out some night photography with our new Panasonic Lumix TZ2. So off I went to the nearest attraction, Clarke Quay. I heard the area was recently spiced up- themed restaurants, water features and alien-looking roof canopies!

Along the way, there were many colourful lanterns being displayed as part of the Lantern Festival. I quickly whipped out my Lumix to test out its capabilities; though unfortunately in the hands of an amateur photographer :)

Colourful lanterns with an underwater theme

Close-up shot of the lanterns....can you find Nemo? :D

When I reached Clarke Quay, I was really impressed with the overall concept. It looked very different from the last time I visited it 3-4 years back when I was still in Singapore.

The alien-looking roof canopy- think War of the Worlds :p

I was quite amused when I discovered this restaurant with a hospital theme. The outdoor dining chairs were designed to look like wheelchairs. Not sure if they can really be wheeled around.

Dining 'wheelchairs'

Some additional night shots with the Lumix TZ2....

View of Clarke Quay from across the river

Another night view

Overall, I'm quite happy with our Lumix TZ2. It's a compact camera but it gives me enough control to adjust the exposure and settings to take night shots to my liking. My next project will be to try out daytime photography and portraits!

2 comments:

lynklee said...

yup, the restaurant with wheelchairs is on a hospital theme. supposed to look like an operating theatre at some parts.

people have commented that it won't be there for very long, since the predominantly chinese population is too superstituous to want to sit in wheelchairs and eat with scapel looking knives!

jesscet said...

hey, for a so-called amateur, i thought the photos turned up very nicely. not easy to take night portraits and i never managed to take anything like that! hmm maybe i should save up to invest in a Lumix! ;)

the hospital-themed restaurant is kinda weird, and also not very politically correct..