Tuesday, April 10, 2007

No Scenes of Stately Majesty...

Had trouble logging in recently, hence the delayed Easter post...

Easter really ISN'T about the eggs or the bunnies. It's about the Lord Jesus Christ; His resurrection from the death He endured on the cross to take away the sins of the world..

Have had this lovely song playing in my head every Easter since I left the UK where I first heard it, but I didn't know the title- just the tune and a couple of lines, plus a vague recollection that it was sung by an Irish singer named Moira Brennan (wasn't even sure if I got the name right). Turns out I got the spelling wrong (think it's Maire/Moya); coupled with the other limited information I had, it took quite a while to find the song on the internet.

The name? 'No Scenes of Stately Majesty'- written by Graham Kendrick. It was written in the weeks following the outpouring of grief and sadness after the death of Princess Diana, hence the use of imagery of candle flames, perfume of flowers and so on; a stark contrast to the death of the Lord Jesus, where there were no vigils, no stately funeral procession...

A few lines to share...

No scenes of stately majesty for the King of kings
No nights aglow with candle flame for the King of love
No flags of empire hung in shame for Calvary
No flowers perfumed the lonely way that led Him to
A borrowed tomb for Easter Day

No wreaths upon the ground were laid for the King of kings
Only a crown of thorns remained where He gave his love
A message scrawled in irony 'King of the Jews'
Lay trampled where they turned away and no-one knew
That it was the first Easter Day

........

My prayers shall be a fragrance sweet for the King of kings
My love: the flowers at His feet for the King of love
My vigil is to watch and pray until He comes
My highest tribute to obey and live to know
The power of that first Easter Day

You can find the song at:
http://www.grahamkendrick.co.uk/songs_sound.htm
Scroll further down the page- it is featured on both the albums 'The Millennium Chorus' and 'No Stately Scenes of Majesty'. Each version is different; but nice in its own way.

Lyrics:
http://www.grahamkendrick.co.uk/songs/lyrics/no_scenes.htm

For those of us who know the Lord Jesus, may Easter always serve as a reminder of God's amazing love and grace....

4 comments:

HL said...

GK's lyrics, especially in his easter/christmas songs, are always very poignant. this is a wonderful song!

fatboybakes said...

AIYO, WHAT A WONDERFUL SITE!!!!! some more can listen to the song in entirety!!!!!! I LURVE GRAHAM KENDRICK'S SONG. My favourite, Oh Lord the Clouds Are Gathering oso got. thank yew thank yew.

leymondcha said...

hl:
Yup yup, poignant is the word, huh... Have had tears welling in my eyes every time I hear it. The Moya Brennan version takes my breath away; the way she sings it makes one think really hard about the words...

fatboybakes:
You're most welcome! Stumbled upon it by accident also; didn't know Graham Kendrick wrote the song. Would have saved me loads of time rather than looking for Moira(!) all over the internet... :)

Anonymous said...

Yes, but where can Moya's version be downloaded. Been looking forever