Sunday, July 06, 2008

To the British Museum and down memory lane...

We have been back for more than a month now- but as you can see, the blogging is lagging far behind! :p

Back to day 2 in London. We began our adventures for the day at the British Museum. We actually got there late and missed the guided tour because I made a stupid mistake reading the Tube map (can u believe it :p); but we ended up taking the audio tour instead so everything worked out fine.

It wasn't my first time there, but the Great Court was new (to me), and I thought it was quite a sight indeed.

Other famous objects on display include the Rosetta Stone, the Nereid Monument, Lewis Chessmen, and of course- those famous mummies! The British Museum is absolutely fabulous- there is just so much to see. I think it's impossible to see and appreciate everything in one day; how I wished I lived near enough to pop in and check out a couple of galleries at a time! Much more interesting then hanging out at a mall (the favourite pastime here in KL :p). We were exhausted and overwhelmed after a few hours, and so we ended up just listening to the audio guide and referring to the pictures on the floor guide; sitting comfortably on a bench instead of dragging our tired legs to the African galleries. Haha!

Check out the mummified cats!

I used to live down the road from the museum, so I dragged hubby there to have a look. We then made our way to my university, taking the same route that I walked for 3 years. Things have changed quite a bit. My beloved university has changed- it has grown in size (they bought more buildings), some things are newer, some things are gone, and it looks like my favourite lecturer no longer teaches there. I couldn't even remember how to make my way through those hidden passageways that connect the different areas of the university. I left with a heavy heart, thinking of how quickly time has flown by. Sigh.

Oh well, at least my favourite sandwich from the university sandwich bar- the 'Mexican Tuna Bap', still tastes the same! :p

We then made our way to Covent Garden to check out the little shops, the markets and of course- the buskers; but I was a little disappointed that the discount bookstore and the cool gadget shop that I used to visit was gone. We walked down Neal Street after that and ended up wandering all the way to Tottenham Court Road.

Covent Garden

Later that evening, we met up with some friends for dinner at the Old Thameside Inn. We wanted to sit outside, but it was freezing! And this was mid-May! :p

I had the Steak and Timothy Taylor Landlord Ale Pie, which was quite nice (although some bits of it were a tad salty) and hubby had the Fish and Chips, which didn't impress. Hmmm.. better luck at the next pub, maybe? :)

1 comment:

Carmen and Kim Kee said...

I like the mimmufied cats...so cute...