Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Immanuel- God with us

I attended my first proper BSF (Bible Study Fellowship) lesson today. I was a bit late since I got lost (yet again) while trying to get to the church, and the group I was in was squashed in a rather tight corner, but overall, I'm really glad I went.

We studied Matthew 1:1-25 today, and I was really encouraged by a couple of points that could be drawn from the passage. I was reminded of how difficult it must have been for Mary and Joseph, as they each dealt with the implications of Mary being with child during the 'engagement'. It was a difficult situation to be in- mockery, disgrace, and for Mary, perhaps even possible death (she could have been stoned). Yet both Mary and Joseph trusted God and obeyed in faith.

From this, we learnt that God often uses difficult circumstances to accomplish His will; and how He sometimes allows trials to come our way, to get our attention. The last few weeks or so at work have been quite rough, and I am trying to learn to commit all things to His good hands, to trust Him, and to hopefully grow in spiritual maturity. It has not been easy, and I have so much to learn..

We closed our study focusing on verse 23: "The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel"- which means, "God with us."

I am so encouraged as I reflect on the fact that God is with me, always. I pray that as Good Friday and Easter draw near; you are too.

Immanuel, O Immanuel
Bowed in awe I worship at your feet
And sing Immanuel
God is with us
Sharing my humanness, my shame
Feeling my weaknesses, my pain
Taking the punishment, the blame
Immanuel
And now my words cannot explain
All that my heart cannot contain
How great are the glories of your name
Immanuel, Immanuel

No comments: