Friday, September 11, 2009

Thumbs up for Up!

Have you watched Up yet? If you haven't, you really ought to see it. It's a lovely movie; funny, heartwarming and thought-provoking all at once.

*spoiler alert*

Flying away with the help of balloons? Cool! Talking dogs? Errr... And the scene with the two old men fighting was just hilarious! Incidentally, Russell- the little kid, made me think of my little boy.. round face with 'no double-eyelid eyes' (Where are they?? They keep disappearing when he opens his eyes wide. No hope la...) Haha :p

On a more serious note though, I wonder what a scrapbook of my life would look like. What will I file away under 'Stuff I'm Going To Do'? Hmm. I remember the exact moment when old Mr Fredricksen discovered his late wife's cherished memories.. and it got me thinking. Life may not turn out the way we expect it to, or the way we hoped; but there will always be something wonderful to be discovered, if we choose to open our hearts to it.

p/s: If you're going to watch Up, remember to be there early. The short film screened before the movie is just precious :)

2 comments:

Y2K said...

Yeah, me and Jo-Ann really liked Up!, just watched it this week. The story of Carl and Ellie was really touching. The message is so important (redefining what really matters) but what's brilliant about Pixar is the way they tell the story. The climax of the movie when he discovered what Ellie added to the scrap book was superb. The dogs were super cool too.

But I'm sure you've found out by now that it's not everyone's cup of tea. Got a few friends who don't get the point of the whole story. Pity..

take care
Yew Khuen

HL said...

Very out of date, but I finally watched this movie. On DVD! It was great! Not sure which short was shown before the movie but on the DVD there was one about clouds and storks - was that the one?

Oh I cried at the beginning of the movie when they had the silent fast-forward thru the lives of Carl and Ellie. Initially I thought it was a joke i.e. Carl was all big-eyed over Ellie and I thought he was just dreaming of what could be... until the bit in the hospital about their baby and I thought, what? Rewind! (you can't do that in theatres!)

Loved it :)