Sunday, October 28, 2007

An afterthought on Prague...

'We came for Prague, but we fell in love with Budapest instead.'

I repeated this a couple of times to hubby when we got to Budapest. Not that Prague was bad; in fact, looking back at the photos, Prague is very beautiful indeed. I suppose our expectations of Prague might have been slightly unrealistic (photos in guidebooks can be misleading!) :p

There is much architectural beauty in Prague- but if you don't know where to look (or when to look up, heh), or you don't know the history/significance of the sights, you will not get as much out of this lovely city. It may just seem to be a whole lot of pretty old buildings!

Unfortunately for us, the local guide we had in Prague spoke with an accent that was difficult to understand, and consequently we missed quite a fair bit of the 'history lessons'. I think that would have helped us to understand and enjoy the experience in Prague a whole lot more. Sigh. In contrast, our local guide in Budapest was excellent. I think that really resulted in a much more enjoyable experience in Budapest.

Also, on my part, I suffered excruciating pain in my feet while we were in Prague. It wasn't the usual soreness one gets from walking too much. It's difficult to describe the pain, but it was BAD, BAD, BAD. It might have been due to unsuitable shoes, or just the fact that Prague has cobblestoned streets everywhere! They are really quite tricky to walk on, and they are not very kind to feet (well mine at least anyway :p). We were so worried since Prague was only the first major stop, and we still had a lot of ground (literally) to cover for the whole trip!

We prayed so hard for the pain to be kept under control, and thankfully, it did get better as the days went by. Even now, I'm not 100% well yet; I still need to limp when I get out of bed. Hubby has been bugging me to go and see a doctor; hmm maybe I should huh...

I really thank God that hubby was so understanding and kind throughout the whole trip, even though I had to stop ever so often to ease the pain! :(

Anyway, that was Prague. More about Budapest in my next post!

No comments: